Founder and Creative Director of Pomegranate Inc.
This year's derby is going to look a little different, but that doesn't mean we can’t still honor 146th running—just in a slightly revised fashion. Since Churchill Downs isn’t allowing any spectators, no FOMO applies for those who can’t make it to Louisville, so DIY celebrations will be even more prevalent. But with COVID still a huge concern, all eating and drinking must be done in a safe and distanced manner. Enter: the socially distanced Derby picnic, featuring many of the age-old traditions, and incorporating some new.
Whether you invite any outside guests or you keep to just your quaranteam, a festive picnic is just the ticket for September 5. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Large tablecloths—one for each guest, family or couple—to lay out on the grass in a large and distanced circle. Suggestions: Jockey Silks, Vintage Racing Silks and Triple Crown tablecloths, available in 55 x 55”, 60 x 90” and 60 x 120”
- Small picnic baskets or any kind of basket (hint: search your basement for baskets that came with corporate gifts, minimally decorated Easter baskets, even baskets you use for storage)
- Throw pillows for lounging—we recommend three per “blanket.” Favorites include these Jockey Silks, Triple Crown, Jockey and Saddle throw pillow. Bonus: all covers are machine washable, in case of any grass stains or julep spills
- Cloth napkins—because paper napkins just won’t do. We recommend mix and matching Jockey Silks, Triple Crown, Vintage Racing Silks, Snaffle and Leather Linen, Horse and Snaffle Linen, and Tack Roomnapkins, wrapped in…
- Napkin rings—ideally these gold or silverhorse head ones
- Melamine plates in various sizes—these luncheon size plates (in Jockey Silks and Triple Crown) work well for appetizers, and Cocoa Snaffleplates are suited for the main course.
Don’t forget to encourage all guests to attend wearing their wildest hat creations (extra points for incorporating matching masks) and assign an honorary judge to pick a winner!
For a limited time, in honor of this year’s Kentucky Derby, enjoy 30% off all pieces in the Equestrian collection until September 5th, PLUS a complimentary equestrian print mask ($15 value). No code is needed; the discount will be applied at checkout! :)
Thanks for reading along,