Bread & Butter
Let’s be honest, a really good dinner roll or slice of bread with really good butter is sometimes better than any dinner you can have. And with restaurant dining not so much a thing these days, we’ve been making our own to serve alongside supper (or sometimes in lieu of it!) Our best recipes are easy enough to be whipped up for a standard weeknight dinner, or to offer at your holiday table. Bonus: rolls or bread looks particularly gorgeous sitting snugly in a couple Blue Spruce napkins. Read on for our dinner roll and flavored butter recipes, and shop the Blue Spruce collection.
Dinner Rolls Recipe:
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Packet of Yeast 3
- Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 5 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon
- 3 1/4 Cups Flour
- Heat the milk for 20 seconds in the microwave, then pour into your stand mixer & add half of the sugar and the entire packet of yeast. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Melt 4 Tbsp of Butter, add to bowl, add the egg, add half of the flour, add remaining sugar, and add the salt.
- Whisk together and scrape down the bowl then add remaining flour and mix on medium using the dough hook. 2-3 Minutes.
- Dough should form a ball.
- Continue mixing for 2 minutes and then start kneading dough by hand. Do this until the dough is smooth and springs back when pressed.
- Oil a large bowl and place dough inside.
- Put in warm place to allow the dough to rise for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and and place onto floured surface.
- Divide into 15-16 pieces.
- Pinch corners so that one side of the roll is smooth and rounded and turn upside down so smooth side is facing up.
- Cup the ball with your hands and move in a tight circular motion.
- Place on a buttered baking dish, cover with plastic, and allow to rise for another hour.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Bake for 20 minutes on lower rack, brush with melted butter when done!
Honey Butter Recipe
Soften your butter (for best results use high-quality butter) and mix in honey to taste. You can whip it in a stand mixer if you like your butter fluffy, but doing it by hand works quite well!
Truffle Butter Recipe
Soften your butter (for best results use high-quality butter) and mix in truffle pâté to taste. (Truffle pâté is available at many gourmet food stores or online.)
Herb Butter Recipe
Soften your butter (for best results use high-quality butter) and mix in minced garlic, diced parsley, sage and thyme, and a bit of salt and pepper. Substitute and add in your favorite herbs.